My posts are going to be somewhat more sporadic than usual for the next few weeks; I’m in India on holiday with my family.
Which gives me the chance to catch up on stuff I’ve been meaning to do.
Like listen to Sandi Thom. An amazing story. Stuff internet dreams are made of. Here are the highlights:
- Travelling up and down the country playing to crowds of 200 or less
- Gigs barely paid for food and shelter and transport
- Encouraged by the success of the Arctic Monkeys, Sandi and friends decided to use the Web instead of travelling
- Planned and executed a 3-week set of concerts webcast from home, called Twenty-one Nights from Tooting, just last month
- 70 fans on day 1, growing to over 70,000 in a fortnight and over 200,000 nightly since.
- All culminating in a £1m contract signed with RCA/Sony BMG; even the contract signing was broadcast live on the Web.
- First album (called Smile, It Confuses People) due June.
What I’ve heard so far, I like.