I need a bit of advice. I’d like to make my blog more accessible, easier to read, simpler to play with. There are a number of things I’m thinking about right now in this context, roughly listed below, in no particular order:
- Getting rid of the Categories bit on the sidebar, replacing it with a shorter list of tags
- Ensuring that those tags are the same as on my Technorati profile
- Reclassifying all my posts according to those tags
- Reclassifying my blogroll into some sort of grouped list
- Adding a CoComment-style feature, maybe CoComment itself
- Bringing LibraryThing back
- Adding a Where am I bit
- Making sure I have a Contact Me clearly visible
- Providing an excerpt for each post, and only making that excerpt visible
- Finding a way for people to be able to listen to my posts
- Finding a way for people to read my posts in other languages
Then I thought to myself, why am I trying to do this on my own? Why can’t I just ask you? What would you have me do in order to make this blog more useful to you? [And yes, “shut up and just go away is a perfectly valid answer”…]
There are also some things I have felt uneasy about doing, like adding a Digg facility. Don’t ask me why. I don’t know. But I’m wary of it, as wary of it as I am with putting advertising on the blog. Something inside me doesn’t like something about it, and I have to figure out why. Again, comments welcome.
So please talk to me. Let me know what I can do to make things better, easier, simpler. What I should stop doing. What I should start doing. I’m still experimenting, it’s barely six months since I started blogging externally. And I’d like to get better at it.
If you use the Comment route then others can see what you say, and that may trigger other thoughts and suggestions. But if you feel uncomfortable with that route, then by all means write to me. I can be found at [email protected]
Thanks a lot.